Thursday, October 30, 2008

Memories!!!

Saturday will be the funeral of my great- grandmother. She passed away rather unexpectedly two Mondays ago at the age of 95. Now, most people never really know their great grandmas and I am SO thankful that I am not part of the majority in this case. She was SO much to me. I have so many memories from my times with her. She would always tell me that I needed to marry rich to make sure I was well taken care of. She would call me and sing Happy Birthday...the WHOLE song, every year on my birthday. She lived in a trailer in Idaho until about 10 years ago. Every time we would go to visit her she would take us down to the senior center so she could brag about her grandchildren and great grandchildren. She moved in with us when I was in 9th grade and lived here for quite a few years. I will never forget the day I came home from school to find her in the bathtub. She had fallen in the morning and had been in there ALL day by herself cold and unable to get back up again. After I got her our of the bathtub she still found away to use humor in a very scary situation. I remember how she loved to go for car trips. We would drive until wee hours of the morning and Grandma would stay awake the whole time to make sure the driver was alert. She loved vanilla ice cream, she ate it EVERY night. She was one of the best seamstress' out there. She ALWAYS said I love you. She was such an amazing part of my life.
When we had to send her up to Alaska to live with my grandma (her daughter), I never imagined that it would be the last time I would see her. She was such a rock in my life and it is SO weird now that she is gone. There are way too many memories for me to put them all down here but I know that I will never allow myself to forget them. She was born the year the Titanic sank and she lived a very long and mostly happy life. She survived some very tough times and she always kept her humor. I will never forget how she would always say while driving past a graveyard..."People are just dying to get in there!!" Or how as she got older and her memory started to fade it became "the people are all dead in there." I will always think of her when I see McDonalds or a Diet Pepsi. I will remember how much she loved The Price is right. I will never forget the night when she was about 92, that my sister,myself and my niece watched Roman Holiday with her. She kicked her feet up on the couch and ate her popcorn and M&M's...I am so thankful to have known her and I will never forget the times we had.
I pray that my life will be as full as the one she lived. She impacted many lives and she was such a blessing to SO many. I pray that as I age, I will still have the sense of humor to make it through the tough times and the simpleness to enjoy the good times. May I always have a little piece of her to remind me there is so much to be thankful for and to always say I love you to those around me!