Sunday, November 23, 2008
Yesterday we went to the Macy's 8th floor display downtown. Now after careful calculating it was decided that this was our 22rd year coming down to the display. We only have skipped one year since moving to MN. We go early on in the Christmas season now (some would even argue that it is before the Christmas season has begun), so we beat the crowds. It was fun going and watching Isabelle and Elise enjoy it as much as I remember enjoying it in years past.
There have been quite a few challenges and distractions lately that have been trying to harbor my desire to serve God wholeheartedly and to make a difference. I am weathering through and learning a lot about myself and my family. Some good things...some really challenging things. There have been a few points during these last few weeks that I have contemplated moving to Texas and giving up on trying....but that would be how Abbie pre-25 would have handled things! I think I'll try sticking it out and see what happens.
So on that note I thought it would be good today to remind myself of some more of the blessings that God has provided me recently. Here goes:
* Gas that costs $1.70 per gallon.....It only cost me $28 to fill up a tank that was pushing $60 earlier this summer
* A dad that helps me change both headlights and a fog light as they were all three burned out while I cruised around town.
* My car being invisible so the cops didn't pull me over when I was driving w/o 2 headlights and a fog light
* Friends from work who let me know that they will miss me and that I am important in their lives
* Best friends that ponder all of the single guys they know...trying to find one "worthy" of me (their words not mine) to set me up with. Now, understand that I am not looking to be set up...but if they think they know someone, I will not stand in their way:)
* Friends that let me come over in the winter to try and whip my butt into shape on their elliptical machine
* People who listen to me and share in my sadness,joy,anger,happiness and excitement...all during the course of the same day!
* People who share their sadness,joy,anger,happiness and excitement with me!
* The knowledge that come Feb. 1st I will be cruising along the Caribbean and not worrying about any of it for 5 days!
Friday, November 14, 2008
Monday, November 10, 2008
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Here is a picture I took last week outside in the backyard....I LOVE FALL! I went out there to take a picture and heard a noise. I looked over and there was a young deer buck running right through my neighbor's yard. It was amazing just to watch him walk down to the pond...I LOVE NATURE!
The trip to Idaho went splendidly. I got to see my dad's family and go trick or treating with my 12 year old cousin and Elijah (my 7 month old nephew). Boise really is a nice city. Saturday morning we headed down to Buhl the city where we buried my grandma and had her funeral (not in that order). There were a lot of family members there who I had heard about but never seen. It was just fun to go back to my homeland and see a lot of history, to hear stories of my parent's first date and to see where I was born. My brother and I sang at the service and although I would never compare myself to a 70's melodic rocker....we did a pretty good job if I may say so myself ( and I will say so...because this is my blog and I do what I want). The rest of the time was spent back in Boise chatting with Grammy (my dad's mom) and aunts,uncles and cousins. I must say we played a pretty wild game of Apples to Apples! I am SO thankful for the time we got to spend with everyone, as you really never know if or when you will see them again. Odd note: Some guy named Rico called and after listening to my voicemail still decided to leave a message telling me to call him...I am just not too sure I really know a guy named Rico, although maybe I'm living a double life and don't know it yet.One thing that hit me this weekend is how a lot of times we really don't appreciate what we have. Two people have mentioned to me recently either in conversation or through a joke how being married wasn't a big accomplishment in their minds. Now both of these people love their spouses and I know that the comments were not meant to make me feel bad, but I as a single person who has indeed struggled with bouts of loneliness was taken aback. One of my deepest desires is to be married and to find the person I get to enjoy life with. I struggle with that desire A LOT (to be transparent) and to think someone could feel like it isn't such a big deal is hard for me to grasp. Then again, I think that my sister who has two children that she loves dearly and would not change for the world...might at times envy the freedoms I have and some of the opportunities I have been given, due to my not being tied down. It is just a thing I have been thinking about. I am trying to be a.) More thankful for where God has me at this point and b.) More understanding that what you think you want, may not be what is right for you at that time.
Also wanted to let you know that one of my first goals for "The Golden Year", is to find an opportunity to volunteer in some way shape or form...the research begins today and I will keep you posted when I find something that fits. May God bless your day!