Saturday, July 25, 2009

It's about time!

When I was a VERY little kid (well young anyways), I wanted to be an ice cream truck driver. I told all of my relatives that I was going to do this when I got older. Now my intentions behind it were good. I remember thinking about how the ice cream truck driver brought smiles to the faces of all the kids in the neighborhood just by driving through, ringing that bell, and selling us cold treats on hot summer days. I wanted to make people smile like that.
My next aspiration started in 2nd grade. I remember it very clearly as I asked for a business suit for my school clothes that year. I wanted to be a news anchor. I like to talk, as I'm sure you have guessed and I like the news. I wanted to be the one who kept people up on the happenings. This dream lasted through most of elementary school. Then came the dream to be a teacher, a missionary to Haiti, and finally in my last years of high school and early part of college the dream was to be a psychologist. Now, if I look back and remember the time in high school never in a million years would I picture myself to be where I am now. I know that by the time 25 hit I pictured my life to be much much different.
The thing is, I am happy about it now. As I sit here today I am thankful that my dad talked me out of going to school in California. I am glad that I stopped taking college classes in which I wasn't putting my best effort forward. I am even proud to be a drug dealer at this point in time. Do I want to stay here forever? NO! Do I plan on going back to school? ABSOLUTELY! Do I know that as the years go on it will only get harder to go back? ABSOLUTELY! Do I feel at peace with where God has me for this time? Yes I do. Am I getting annoyed with myself for asking and answering so many questions here? INCREDIBLY!
I say these things because I know God has been at work in my life so much lately. I feel his presence and I think back to when I started this blog, on my 25th birthday. That was 9 months ago to the day and I feel more at peace and closer to my Savior then EVER before. For this time, He has called me to be content. My friend keeps telling me that she sees it as a transition period. God is moving and working and building up to some great BIG things and I can't wait to see what they are! I really can't. He is working in SO many areas of my future and the first steps were to get me right with him. That is a lifelong process!
I believe he wants that for each of us. I know wholeheartedly that God wants to see us succeed. Sometimes as life is moving we think we know exactly what success will look like for us...but God has a completely different picture. Sometimes, for some people, God gives them a dream from a very young age and and allows it to come into reality as soon as possible. That is not my story. My story has been through A LOT of obstacles. I have gone through some pretty rough times, but on the other side...years later...I am a better person. I love watching God at work in the lives of those around me. I love to see his promises fulfilled when we earnestly seek him. Although it is hard sometimes, when people ask me why I'm not a.) Married b.) a _______ (fill in profession) or C.) married :), I know the answer. The answer is God. He is preparing me for a future that I haven't even imagined. He is preparing you too. Please don't think I am being cliche. I know it's true. The Lord will bless those who earnestly seek Him.
Tomorrow is my first Sunday at my new church. I am so excited to get involved and start seeing what is in store there. I wanted to get involved and build some relationships before I moved up to "the cities" so it wasn't all new at once. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Christina said...

Praise God! He is so good. He knows exactly where you are going and he is preparing you during this period. How exciting!
Praying for you!